Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Lab 1: Eau Claire Confluence Project

Goals and Background
      The purpose of this lab is to look at the spatial distribution of different data sets around the Confluence Project in Eau Claire Wisconsin. The goal of this lab is to be comfortable with using these data sets and map them in six separate maps overlaying the proposed Confluence Project site.
      I began this project by digitizing the proposed Confluence Project area with parcel data, and an imagery base map. Then, I viewed several different data sets accessed through the city and county of Eau Claire's geodatabases and mapped them with the proposed Confluence Project site. I looked at PLSS lines, land parcels, population density, zoning class, land cover, land use, political boundaries, hydrologic  features, and US Census features. Then, I read up a bit on the Public Lands Survey System (PLSS). I learned about how the PLSS divides up the land into sections and how they are important for townships. All of this was prepping me for making the six maps.

Methods
      The next step was to create the maps. First, I added the proposed Confluence Project feature and the imagery base map to all of the data frames. For the Civil Divisions map, I added the Civil Divisions, and County_Boundary feature classes. In the Census Boundary map, I added the BlockGroups, and Tracts feature classes. For the Census Boundaries map, I also used the the data to create a graduated colors maps with six classes using Jenks natural breaks method displaying population per square mile. For the PLSS Lines map, I added the PLSSqq feature class. For the Eau Claire City Parcel Data map, I added the Centerlines, Water, and ParcelArea feature classes. In the Zoning map I added the ZoningClass, and Centerlines feature classes. In the Zoning map, I also created a unique values map by grouping similar zoning classes together. For the Voting Districts map, I added in the VotingWards2011 feature class. I added labels and gave them halos to make them more legible. For all the maps, I changed the transparency on the appropriate layers to make the map neat and visually pleasing, and so you can see the imagery base map. I pulled all of the feature classes from the Eau Claire county or city geodatabases.

Results
Eau Claire Confluence Project Proposed Site
Fig 1.0: Eau Claire Confluence Project Proposed Site
      Looking at the maps we can identify some spatial aspects about the Confluence Project proposed site. In the Civil Divisions map, it is clear the the proposed site is located in a city (Eau Claire). The Census Boundaries map shows us that the proposed site is located in a tract where the population is between 3,801 and 5,037 people. The PLSS Lines map shows us that the proposed site is located in two different quarter quarter sections. The Eau Claire City Parcel Data map shows us the proposed site's proximity to the Chippewa River, and that the site takes up four different land parcels. The Zoning map displays the zoning classes which immediately surround the proposed site. Lastly, The Voting Districts map shows us that the proposed site is located in ward number 31, and shows the which wards surround the site as well.

Sources
City of Eau Claire and County of Eau Claire geodatabases

Lippelt, D. Irene. Underestimating Wisconsin Township, Range, and Section Land Descriptions.
      Wisconsin Geological and Natural Hisoty Survey, Education Series 44, 1-4.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment